BOTOX® Cosmetic, was the first FDA-approved treatment to temporarily improve the appearance of wrinkles like frown lines, crow’s feet, and laugh lines.
What are the overall advantages of treating wrinkles with BOTOX® Cosmetic?
• Reduces wrinkles without surgery.
• No sedation or anesthesia is needed.
• Corrects underlying muscles (as opposed to the skin's surface or skin's sub-layer the way peels do).
• Reduces horizontal creases in forehead. Reduces frown lines.
• Minimizes the look of crow’s feet and laugh lines.
• Provides dramatic effects.
• Effects are customizable and reversible with time.
• Some patients report they no longer get migraine headaches.
How does it work?
This treatment works by weakening the facial muscles beneath the skin that are the cause of wrinkles. A few drops of BOTOX® Cosmetic are injected with a tiny needle into the muscles that create wrinkles. When BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected into a muscle, it blocks the nerve impulse from reaching that area, and as a result, the muscle does not contract. If a specific muscle cannot move, it cannot cause a wrinkle. When used appropriately, BOTOX® Cosmetic does not affect normal facial expressions.
What can BOTOX® Cosmetic be used for?
• Reduce Frown Lines and “11” lines in the forehead
• Reduce Bunny Lines
• Reduce Lip Wrinkles
• Reduce Worry Lines
• Reduce Severe Underarm Sweating
• Reduce Crow's Feet
• Achieve Brow Lift
• Improve Brow Symmetry
What are the side effects?
Side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic are minimal, with slight discomfort upon injection of the solution. This may be minimized by the use of anesthetic cream half an hour prior to the injection. Bruising at the sight of injection may occur. One percent of patients may develop a slight lowering of the eyelid, or asymmetry of the brows or facial expressions. These effects are temporary. When the medication begins to wear off, the wrinkles begin to reappear; however, they frequently are not as deep as the original ones. It usually takes two to four injections each year to maintain the smooth, youthful appearance that is desired. Clinical studies suggest that after several rounds of treatment, the patient may require injections less often.